Nowadays, it looks like the flu and cold season lasts all year around. With the outbreak of the Swine Flu this past year, it has a tendency to make us more conscious of our immune system and what we can do to strengthen it and keep it in top form. Unfortunately, we can’t reside in a plastic bubble, so we can’t stop germs from attacking us, so we rely on our immune system to protect us and to fight off illness.
Here are some strategies to hopefully help you improve your immune system and various other suggestions to help keep you and your family from getting sick.
- A good diet is the first step in enhancing your immune system. You want to develop good eating habits including loads of fresh ripe vegetables and fruit. This will provide your immune system with antioxidants and vitamins that it ought to stay strong.
- You have to include loads of whole grains, beans, poultry, fish and low fat red meat together with the veggies and fruits to provide a well balanced diet. Make certain that you eat the red meat in moderation.
- Avoid foods that are high in fat since they suppress the immune system. This does not necessarily mean you could never have your favourite dessert that you’re craving, but consume it in moderation. Onion and garlic are considered to be anti-viral and yellowish bits are thought to be anti-inflammatory.
- Another important thing to do is to be certain you get enough sleep. Adults will need to have between 7 and 8 hours of sleep each day and teens should get 8 or 9 hours of sleep every day. A person who is younger in age requires more sleep. Lack of sleep has always been associated with a diminished immune system. The simple fact is that your body needs enough time to recoup from the days activities.
- You also need to take steps to decrease stress as it goes hand in hand with getting the correct quantity of sleep. We all have stress in our daily lives and there’s not any escape from it and we will need to find ways to take care of it. Make certain that you make time for yourself and shut out the rest of the world and unwind.
- Make certain that you drink a lot of fluids. It’s a guideline that you need to drink at least 8 glasses of water every day. If you’re participating in physical activities which are dehydrating your body over ordinary, then you need to increase your intake of fluids.
- The most important step to enhancing your immune system is that of exercise. Numerous studies have been done and have shown that by doing something as little as walking 4 or 5 times a week will effectively improve your immune system and help it fight off disease.
- Weight training and cardio will also be suggested for a well balanced exercise program. This doesn’t mean that everybody can do this, but any kind of exercise that you select will help to fortify your system as long as you do it. You don’t need to jump right into a complete exercise regiment. Start out in tiny steps like taking the steps rather than the elevator and parking a little further away from the parking lot or simply take a little walk around your community. Always be certain that you check with your physician before you begin any exercise program.