A migraine is simply a severe, persistent headache. It can be accompanied with nausea and sensitivity of light and/or sound. Sometimes, migraines can be severe. An aura can be a warning sign or precursor to a migraine. An aura may manifest as flashing lights or tingling in the arms or legs. It is important to get treatment as soon as you feel the aura symptoms.
- Keep hydrated by drinking lots of fluids. This is especially important if you are experiencing nausea or vomiting.
- A migraine can often be triggered by light. If you are unable to sleep, try sleeping in a darkened room. While sleep can be beneficial, it can also make headaches worse.
- You can try meditation or yoga to relax. A massage can also be beneficial. Deep, steady, and calming breathing is a good practice.
- Hot and cold therapy are helpful in stopping migraines quickly. Cold therapy can be done with an ice pack. Hot therapy can be done with a hot washcloth. Let it cool on your head and face. This type of treatment can also be done with hot packs containing buckwheat kernels. Some symptoms can be eased by over-the-counter remedies. You can also try a steam bath or a hot shower.
- Alternative treatments like biofeedback or acupuncture have been shown effective in relieving migraine pain.
- The last tip on how to stop a headache fast is to use herbs like butterbur and feverfew, but only if you’re not pregnant. For migraine onset and relief, magnesium, CoenzymeQ10, and Riboflavin are all good options. Homeopathic remedies can be found in health stores. Before using herbs, make sure to consult your doctor or pharmacist. This will ensure that you don’t have any interactions with any prescriptions you may be currently taking.